Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The little girl won this one

Okay, so I was on that end of town today. Needed 12" size 8 circulars for the sleeves of the February Lady Sweater, and that's the part of town where I might find the needle bag I mentioned in the last post, at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I know I don't need 12" circs, and that DPNs would work just fine. But I'd rather chew on my own eyeballs than do something that big around on DPNs. Besides, I could splurge on just one or two skeins of Malabrigo, ya know, for just a little project. Just to satisfy that tactile craving. You know.


And, I still have them preemie caps to drop off at my LYS, so it was all worth gettin' dressed and out the door for, anyway.


And I did indeed score the nifty little Worm Wrangler (that's what its tag said it was) and for a very good price. The receipt, however, referred to it as a 'wormb.' And I thought Mary Beth just made that 'worm bag' thing up.


As you can see, I wasted no time sortin' my shorter circs into it. I do believe the DPNs will be added too, before this day is out.

Then I scooted over to The Yarn Haven. Sandy didn't have 12" circs on hand, but ordered me some . . . 'cause doncha just know I need another reason to go back (giggle). And the preemie caps were duly delivered. Y'all really gotta go over there and see the wall of caps -- it's amazing and inspiring on sooooo many levels. I couldn't be more proud to be among this particular bunch of knitters. Nor more humbled.

Okay, now here's the part where I was very bad . . . but what I brought home is oh so very good! You know vests and cardigans are on my mind, especially the vests. There was this one all knitted up as the model, hanging on the back wall, and it had a very simple and flattering line to it. Perfect! I'll take that pattern, and by the way, what yarn is it calling for?

It calls for 3 skeins of Fiesta's La Boheme. Just 3 skeins? More perfect - show me where they are.
Yeah, this is one of several colors, and yeah my head exploded. All the colors were to faint for! And each skein was a bit more than I had planned to spend. As I approached them, I said, "Oooooh!" at the colors. As I read the first one's price tag, I said before I could stop myself, "Oh!" I'm pretty certain I didn't cuss. I'm positive that all I said was "Oh!" But then those glorious colors! I said, "Oooooh!" again. And there I went back forth and more outloud than was really proper, "Oooooh! Oh! Ooooooh! Oh!" It's a wonder Sandy didn't shoot me with a dart gun and throw a net over me until the authorities arrived.

So some math was done, some possible yarn substitutions were considered. But folks, anything I held up to the La Boheme just paled. Nothing else would do, once I'd seen the glory that is this yarn. Bless Diane and Sandy both for the patience with me, as my inner child and inner adult had it out right before their eyes. The little girl won this time, and Diane wound 'em up for me.

At the last minute, during the check out no less, I pivoted away from the register and all but pounced on two skeins of Malabrigo. Yeah, I was bad . . . . but you should see how good this stuff is!
See, folks, this is what happens when you've denied yourself too long. Just like food diets, yarn diets are just folly. And ya know what else? While I'm at it, giving in to impulses left and right, I think I'm gonna give in to yet another, and just go on ahead and cast on with these yarns! Oh hush! Why wait? They're here. I'm here. You know.

No comments:

Post a Comment